Published on September 16th, 2013 | by Mark Chesnut
PHOTOS: Mexican Independence Day, with Las Vegas Style
The Grito de Dolores (Cry of Dolores) rang out on September 16, 1810, near Guanajuato, Mexico. It was the symbolic beginning of the Mexican independence movement, and today, that event is celebrated as Mexican Independence Day. (And no, in case you were wondering, Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with Mexican Independence Day. Click here to find out what Cinco de Mayo is really about.)
Celebrations take place around Mexico (you can check out some of LatinFlyer’s photos of a recent Independence celebration in Mexico City here). But those looking for festivities in the United States can find plenty of places to enjoy the excitement.
The city of Las Vegas, for example, has been playing up the celebration for the past several days, with an array of activities and events with a connection to its neighbor to the south.
Among the Mexico-infused festivities in Las Vegas:
• A Mexican Independence Day Fiesta Parade entertained crowds along 4th Street.
• A rousing boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. (Alvarez lost, but that didn’t dampen the spirits of those celebrating Mexican Independence.)
• A series of Latin music concerts — with Mexican music as well as popular Latin music stylings from around Latin America and the United States, with artists including Luís Miguel, Marco Antonio Solis and Marc Anthony.
The photos in this slide show (courtesy of the Las Vegas News Bureau) capture some of the excitement. All this is proof that often, you don’t need to travel far to have a great travel experience.
¡Que viva México!
MORE TRAVEL TIPS & INSPIRATION:
• How to Use the Shazam App to Find the Best Pop Music in Latin America
• Puebla: Travel Photos from the “Real” Cinco de Mayo in Mexico
• Ricky Martin, SNL Stars, Michael Bolton to Appear at Palace Resorts in Cancun
SPECIAL MEXICO TRAVEL DEALS FOR LATINFLYER.COM READERS
CheapCaribbean Cancun Super Sale! $550 Resort Credits + 3 All-Inclusive Nights with Air